NewBie

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Re-marriage

40 years ago , my aunt married a scientist and they both came to London to start a happy life. Within a year, my uncle died of some unknown/uncurable disease. My father wanted my aunt to remarry, she did not.. she stayed back in London because she knew the sufferings of her mother as a widow. She took up a job as a nurse, today she is retired and seems to be happy !! 2 years back, I asked her "Aren't u feeling alone there? Why don't you come back to India?" She said.." I have my friends and I've been there for 40 years. I don't feel lonely. I keep myself occupied. I'll come back to India..but not sure when". I couldn't understand how she could be alone. I just thought she did not think of a remarriage becoz she was brought up in an Indian society a generation ago !! 2 weeks back, my friend's sister met with the same plight. Her husband died suddenly. They have a 3 month old kid. My friend wanted her sister to marry someone but her sister refuses. I think she has a point in refusing to remarry!! . May be 1 year back I'd have agreed with my friend 100% but now I could not. My friend and I had a chat. Is it emotionally posible for a man/woman to remarry? Is it not possible for her to live for her child the rest of her life? Marriage in itself is a gamble, we never know what's in store for us.. is it worth the risk? It may be easier to forget a husband whom u hate but is it possible to forget someone u love? Even if she gets a loving husband, will he be considerate towards her child? I just concluded that its not like what feminists say " Women are being discriminated..this is still a male dominated society. blah-blah". Re-marriage is an individual's choice. Though not today, if someday she meets the right person its not wrong to choose him as her companion for the rest of her life. At the same time, if she decides to lead her life with her child and the memories of her husband, that is also not wrong. I think her family should leave the decision to her and support her in whatever she decides instead of pressurizing her like "think of ur future, ur child's future, how can u live without a man's support,etc"!! P.S : Dedicated to my friend's sister. Let God give her the courage to face life.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:13 AM, July 18, 2006, Blogger KK said…

    I second your thoughts, the decision should always be left to that person and just be supported by the dear and near irrespective of what the decision is.
    Not only in this, I always feel others should only suggest ideas and not force them. Final decision should always be the person involved's decision.

     
  • At 12:33 AM, July 18, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    //family should leave the decision to her and support her//

    thats it...but it doesn't happen that way in our society...

     
  • At 12:26 PM, July 18, 2006, Blogger Jeevan said…

    the same thing happen to my cousin sister, she also lost my uncle 4 years back. she was very love on him, but she never expect he will leave him alone. after his husbands death, we leave the choise for her, because of the true love, she refused to allow another men inside her life, now she was working as a teacher in a school.

     
  • At 9:54 PM, July 18, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    kk - true !!

    Syam - That's true. But times have definitely changed.

    Jeevan - Good to hear that your family has supported your sister's decision.

     
  • At 12:35 AM, July 19, 2006, Blogger Movie Mazaa said…

    it depends on the individual. but i guess theres no use hanging on to the past, however dear it may appear to be, and ruin ur present and perhaps even the future in the process.

     
  • At 9:52 PM, July 19, 2006, Blogger My days(Gops) said…

    well it depends on the peoples..
    there's nothing wrong in it..
    society 1000 sollum, adhukaaga? past'a ninachi present'a waste panna mudiuma?
    enna sollureenga?

     
  • At 8:54 PM, July 20, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    velu - true :-)

    gops - naan ennatha solla ? Ellaam vithi padi thane nadakuthu :-(.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home