NewBie

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Saying "No" !!

Today, I realized that I can't say "no" to anyone that easily. I need to do my work called (deployment of applications) once others complete their work (coding). This is supposed to happen before 5 PM ( rather 4 PM). X always comes with unofficial requests to re-do the work. He needs to follow a process and get approval from his manager etc .. but that would be a black-mark to him and would take a lot of time. So I wasn't strict and did all I could to help him. Once, he foolishly let out an unnecessary/false comment on our team's work. I was pissed off for a moment but then just left it. I told this to my roomie. I told her that the next time I'll say "no" to him. My other team mates started to be strict with him after this incident and he had no other option but me. Surprisingly, the next time he called me, I totally forgot everything and said "OK". This is still continuing. I got a phone call at 10 PM from him today. Me : OK... let me know once its done and don't take too long. I need to wake up early tommorrow to be in office early. X : Sure. My collegue (and room mate):"Why are you so forgiving? He doesn't deserve it. You are already tired" She was right. I need not have stayed back to complete his work. After all, noone is going to know that I helped him. Even he doesn't understand that. I started thinking on why I didn't refuse and say "no". We are 3 people here in our team. I live near to workplace but one person (say Y) has to commute for an hour to reach office. They both live with their families and I'm alone :(. So, I make it a point that I look into all requests at night. Whenever he requests me to come early instead of him, I'll happily say "ok". But oneday I wasn't feeling well and left early from office to get some rest. They both didn't take care of things even that day. I got up did some work for an hour went back to sleep..30 minutes later.. another task.. I was really frustated and told to my roomie..I'm not going to do anymore work today. Immediately, Y called me " Pavithra, we have some work starting at 11 PM tonight till 2-3 AM and since I'm doing some work, can you take care of the rest." I said "Ok". My roomie got too angry on me. But I thought, Y had to play for a cricket match early next day and the other person had planned to go to a theme park with his wife, early next day. That was the only thing running in my mind..I knew there were 5 tasks and I accepted to do 3 which would take me 5 hours from 11 PM. Why didn't I tell him I'm not feeling well so I can't do this? Was it my "ego" and I didn't want him to sympathize me? In my prev project, I had to work for atleast 18 hours a day of which my work would have been not more than 6 hours. This was the only credit that I got in my appraisal letter - "She never refuses to help others in the project. Personal Efficiency -10/10". Why do I have this disease of always saying "yes" for requests that too happily with a "smile" as my clients point out? I never crib abt doing work except when even after doing so much..noone recognizes it and points a finger at me. Whenever I go to my relatives house with my parents, and if someone offers me a food or drink, I'll be the only person to accept it (inspite have having a full stomach from visiting a series of relatives the same day :-)). I don't know to refuse. Even if there are certain things that I never want to do, I do them. My mom tells me "Un kita kaariyam saathikarathu rombha easy..konjam paavamaa, soft ta sonna pothum". May be true, I get pissed off if someone orders me to do things and I'll fight till the end to protest, but the same thing told in a loving manner I'll do it at any cost. I'm not sure if its an entirely bad thing. It's good to be liked by everyone. But then I need to realize that I should not be fooled emotionally. X taught me a lesson today not to be a simpleton ..but will I be able to follow it ?? God only knows !!

22 Comments:

  • At 4:03 AM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Flora Pang said…

    you are the first one I know who uses this layout. :)

    Just want to let you know, I don't browse blogs very often, so this might seem strange to u~

     
  • At 6:23 AM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Flora - Welcome :-). Same pinch for the layout but it was coincidental !!
    Ok..stop by when you have time. Ur blog is hilarious..I've not yet read thru all ur posts !!

     
  • At 11:11 AM, July 31, 2006, Blogger KK said…

    Nice post Pavithra!
    I can understand wholey what your saying. The same thing has happened to me quite a lot of times at work and personal life. One of my post regarding Anger had an ulterior motive of the same topic. One day I was terribly pissed off of what happend at work so I talked to myself and decided that I will tell a 'no' if I want to say 'no' be what may. Though I still have'nt mastered it, I have improved. Saying 'No' is an art, first give importance to yourself than others, Try changing your attitude of wanting to be liked by everyone. Its difficult to say no if you want to be liked by everyone. I had the same attitude.
    Nice to know that you too accept eatables given at relatives house inspite of a full stomach, I too do that, I still do that :)

     
  • At 4:18 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger My days(Gops) said…

    ha ha ha same pinch.....
    ada, innoru thamilan (thamilachi)
    enna maadhiri'ey...nammala solli kuthamillai'nga, adhu thaana varum. bcos, namma 'tamilnatin perumai adhu...
    (romba pesureno?)

    ok ok..
    veetla poi enna sei'a poram, colleagues pending work'a seirathu'ku help pannuvom'nu begining'la konjam help panna aarambichen.......
    ha ha , adha avanga 'take it for granted'a eduthukittaanga..
    ippa, naan 'NO'nu solla mudiadha nilai'il irruken....
    sometimes, naan ninaipadhu undu...
    (these peoples, namma nilamai'a yosichi paarkavey maatangala'nu?)

    btw, 3 weeks munnalai'ey ooruku poren'u soneenga? innum kilambalai'a?
    he he he

     
  • At 5:11 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Jeevan said…

    Some times, my cousin will ask me to write his class work, that time i will not in the mood to write or feel tierd, even though i will not tell no, just say yes. my mom will tell, if he (cousin) writes only he will understand, why are u writing for him. But for me if some one request me to do anything, i will not tell no. Nice Post pavi:) Thanks for your B'day wishes:)

     
  • At 8:35 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    kk - "Its difficult to say no if you want to be liked by everyone." True..I'm trying to understand that :-)

    veda - Thanks :-)

    Gops - May be u r right.
    En soga kathaiya en ketkareenga..namma nenaikarathu ellaam nadakuthaa? Should be leaving in 2 weeks :-)

    Jeevan - That's true .. ur mom was correct. Thanks thaana ..no treat ? :-).

     
  • At 8:47 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    //n kita kaariyam saathikarathu rombha easy//

    same blood...

    I wasn't sure if you are getting paid for the extra hours, here we are, so if there are some extra tasks which needs to be done on over time, ore adithadi ya irukum naan neenu...

     
  • At 8:52 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger My days(Gops) said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8:55 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger My days(Gops) said…

    //May be u r right.//
    edhuku soneenganu therinchikalaama?
    (romba pesureno?)adhukaaa?
    he he he :))

     
  • At 9:05 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Syam - Getting paid for extra hours ..good. Nothing like that..may be oru appreciation letter kudupaanga or appraisal la "u r the best..blah-blah ..but due to unavoidable circumstances we r not able to give u a promotion.." appadinu katha viduvaanga.

    Gops - "adhu thaana varum. bcos, namma 'tamilnatin perumai adhu..." - athuku than sonnen .. :-)

     
  • At 9:43 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Jeevan said…

    Ok enna treat vanum? choclate vanuma, ice-creame vanuma, illai eathavathu 5 star hotella dinner vaikava? :))

     
  • At 11:05 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Jeevan - Rs 5 softee cone ice-cream is more than enough :-). That's my favourite !!
    Just kidding.

     
  • At 3:35 AM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Butterflies said…

    eii pavi thats gud on u!but don practicethat further people will make royal use of it!!!

     
  • At 7:17 AM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Shuba - true..I think it will take a lot of time for me to realize and practice it. Anyway, let me start now than later.

     
  • At 11:27 AM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Movie Mazaa said…

    True indeed, that at times, a bitter NO turns out to be infinitely better than a sweet YES with severe repurcussions.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    You are a nice person....but even, this may cause problem to you sometimes....hope you will recover from this in the future

     
  • At 2:28 PM, August 01, 2006, Blogger ambi said…

    good post pavithra,
    same blood here, used to do work from 8 am to 8 pm (including blogging, he hee) volunterily taking all complex tasks, others happily going exactly 6 pm..
    but many times pple take it as advantage..
    neenga rommbbbbbbbaaa nallaavaaaangaa polirukeeee!

     
  • At 6:03 PM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Velu - True :-)

    bala - Thanks :-)

    ambi - Eemaararavanga nallavangala ? Athu enna logic? :-)

     
  • At 10:43 PM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Gnana Kirukan said…

    Pavithra - First time here :) - Thanks for visiting my blog :)..I value ur comments :)..

    I guess you have one more person for company :D - I can never say to anyone! and sometimes I end up in problems because of that! :)

     
  • At 11:04 PM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Arjuna - Welcome !! Thanks !!

    When I wrote this post, I thought I was the only person who does this..but reading all your comments really makes me feel "I'm not alone".

     
  • At 1:22 AM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Priya said…

    Just crawled thru' starry!!
    Good post. If we take it to heart then it really matters.

    Just becoz someone is nice to us, it doesn't mean they can take advantage of us. Friendhsip is different from what we deal in our lives..
    How to say NO is easy, but when to say NO is tuff.....

     
  • At 5:19 AM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Priya - Welcome !! True :-).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home