NewBie

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Movies with a difference

I'm not that fond of movies. Having said that, I rarely watch a movie a secondtime. But there are a few movies which I like and are evergreen in my memory. Taking our Tamil movies, once my friend asked me "Why do you hate movies?". I told her "I don't hate movies but I don't love them either. When there is no thrill in watching a movie..why should we? "Love" is the theme of 99% movies. I'll tell u the crux of all movies 1. Love at first sight, parents oppose - lovers elope, face lot of opposition at last happy/sad ending. 2. Love after initial fighting, parents accept but fate kills one..other waits with tears. Second Hero/Heroine comes and atlast manages to marry the heroine/hero. 3. Lovers from birth, parents would be family friends..family problem so lovers are separated..finally happy/sad ending. 4. Triangle love - solli kaadhal, sollamal kaadhal, one sacrifices..blah-blah." This is/was what my opinion on movies. Worst of all, duet songs dancing around a tree would drive me crazy. At home, I'll fast fwd it or (if my sis opposes) just escape to do some other work ..in theatre I just close my eyes to hear the song (if at all song is good). The best "love" movie I liked was "Poovee Unakaaga".It was 10 years back. It was different to me..when there were 2 heroines, I expected a normal ending where Vijay would marry Sangeetha. The dialogues were too good. "Anandham.." song's wordings were hilarious. But, today that film seems so simple to me. "Alaipayuthe" was another movie I liked. Life after marriage (love) was depicted beautifully by Mani Ratnam. Songs made it better. Next was "Antha 7 naatkal" ..story line was different but the same story in "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam" was excellent..Ajay Devgan's acting was too good. I've already seen the second part of the film 3 times (that's the only movie (part of it) I've seen 3 times). There were some movies which talked about women's freedom, remarriage etc..but all movies would cling to a fact that for a woman to remarry she should be a virgin..they would make vain attempts like killing the guy just before marriage, immediately after marriage in the altar, before nuptial night, etc. Then what's the point in picturing the hero as making a "sacrifice". "Nayagan" was a movie which I liked most..of all the aspects in the movie, there was one part I liked. Saranya was a prostitute by profession and Kamal marries her. It was the least spoken of part in the movie. But I think, a first bold step. But even after that "Kizhakku vaasal" was near yet so far. Even in "Rythm".. they tried to show that Meena was a virgin. A year back, I saw "Hum Tum", something like "real love" doesn't mind virginity. Today I saw the movie "Kuch naa kaho"..I thought it was similar to "Rythm" or a version of it..but it was different. As a film, both Abhishek and Aishwarya displayed poor acting. (Sharukh and Preity Zintha/Rani Mukherhee would have been better :-)). But, the story was good and I was surprised at the twists of the movie..I was disappointed when the film was suddenly heading towards a traditional finish.."Kanavane kan kanda theivam.." But then the dialogues at the climax were too good. Only minus was they needed a broad-minded american brought-up Abhishek to play the role. May be Indians are not yet mature !!. Right from my childhood...I've always had the opinion that English movies are "A" films. May be becoz that's how the conception is in Indian towns or, the only movies I had seen were that way. But now, I've started liking English movies. I've seen around 15 films in the past 1 month and I enjoyed each one of them. They're all so different that its no longer the same old love stories. Above all, no duet around the trees every 10-15 minutes. Of course, these movies also have romance but it seems more real than silly. Though I still love novels/books better, these movies are surely better than our tamil movies. I missed it all these years !! Konja naal-la bore adichidumaa nu theriyala :-).

23 Comments:

  • At 12:53 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    konja naala kandippa bore adichidum...english movies too do have a formula, so your frequency will slow down to 5 movies a month,1 movie a month then you will watch one good movie once in 5 months :-)

     
  • At 12:55 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    enga ponaalum enaku thaan puliodharai....naan evalo busy nu paarthukunga :-)

     
  • At 1:16 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger KK said…

    Very nicely written!
    Well another coincidence of same thought, I had a similar question on my blog long ago, check here. I am bored of seeing love on screen. But I don't know whom to blame for this trend.
    I like most of Mani Rathnam's movies because he deals with love in a short and sweet way...
    Kannathil Muthamittal is another nice movie, dealt very well.
    Nayagan was inspired from God Father.
    Kuruthipunal is another nice movie from Kamal. Well I have quite a long list of favourite movies but interesting fact is none of them are love stories.
    Well as Syam said there is a formula for english movies, now a days I watch most movies that are classified as drama. Movies in this segment deals varied subjects.

     
  • At 6:18 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Syam - Anyway I think once I'm back home I'll not need movies to keep me entertained :-).

    kk - Ur post was good..left my comments there. Whom to blame for this trend ?..noone except the audience !!

     
  • At 10:54 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    first part of this post was funny :)...."Uyir"-nu padam vandhiruku, adha paarunga....adhukapuram uyiroda irundha, ur interest on tamil movies will go away..

     
  • At 11:28 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Movie Mazaa said…

    ~Right from my childhood...I've always had the opinion that English movies are "A" films~

    ROTFL...
    :))))

     
  • At 1:06 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Jeevan said…

    Now day’s only screenplay decides the movie, its rare to see news stories. Directors like KB, Manirathram, Bharathiraja, Bala and SuseGaneshan are only trying different stories. Me too not crazy on film’s its rare for me to see one movie a month, except watching movies in TV. Even in my house also parents feel that Hollywood movies are A, but now it’s become normal, me and dad go to English moves, he cant understand, but come with me to give company.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Ekta said…

    oops!
    Dont watch soth indian movies coz I dont understand the language..but loved Hum tum...its one of the cutest movies I have seen recently!

     
  • At 1:52 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Has to be me said…

    First time here & liked ur blog.

    Tho I like movies, I also dont like to see a movie for the 2nd time! Either cos its too boring or if it was good, I dont like to loose the essense of it by seeing it again!

    Happy movie watching! :)

     
  • At 5:17 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger பரத் said…

    Good one..
    //Konja naal-la bore adichidumaa nu theriyala //
    appdiyellam illa..neraya nalla(paarkavendiya) padangal irukku.varietya paatha bore adikkaathu..
    //"Nayagan" was a movie which I liked most
    it's a milestone in tamil movies

     
  • At 6:50 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger ambi said…

    correctaa sonneenga! intha 18 patti-panchayathu, pithalai sombu,vethalai thuppal,
    co-optex thundu,thaali sentiment, kungumam(magzine illai) maariamman dance, thimithi, snake, dog, yaanai, kuthirai, monkey (innum panni maatum thaan baaki) ithellathaiyum vuttuteegale! ROTFL :)
    vaasu, k.s.ravikumar, *ahem" "thaanai thalaivan" Rama narayanan ellam epdinga pozhaikarathu?
    same pinch on your thoughts on eng films in ur childhood days.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    bala - Sure..atleast want to know why lot of ppl hate the movie.

    velu - Hey..I continued and told the reason too..still ROTFL ?

    jeevan - True :-).

     
  • At 8:12 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    ekta - Welcome !! Hum-Tum was the first Hindi movie that I saw in theatre with my friend..I liked it a lot.

    has to be me - Welcome !! Glad that you liked my posts. Thanks :-)

    barath - Will try watching variety of movies.

    ambi - ROTFL :)

     
  • At 9:46 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger My days(Gops) said…

    paartheengala, 15 english padam paarthona namma ooru padatha mattam thattureengaley?

    neenga sollura maadhiri, tamil cinema'la same masala/formula'va thaan use pannuraanga. i agree...
    pinna, vera endha maadhiri story'la cinema edukanum? hollywood'la edukira maadhiri edhutha namma oorla yaaaru paaapa?
    neenga paarpeenga, naanum paarpen, but village people paarpaangala?
    he he he 'nu sirichitu poiduvaaanga...
    adhukunu tamil cinema best'nu naan solla varala, but comparing with hollywood not good...
    (Yuga nu oru tamil padam vandhu irruku, for my sake, please watch it and lemme knw whthr do u like it or no? (appadiey hollywood touch'la irrukum)...
    cool..

    //May be Indians are not yet mature !!//
    apppa, Tom cruise'a nadika solli irrukalamo? he he he

    btw, try to watch 'salam namasthe'.nice movie tooo..

     
  • At 9:50 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Gops - Mannikavum. Ungal mozhi patrai paaratugiren.

    I liked "Salaam Namaste" ..memorable movie..first movie after marriage :-)

     
  • At 9:52 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger My days(Gops) said…

    thirumbium paarda,
    yen, unga mozhi illai'a adhu?

    btw, naan ketadhuku badhil sollavey illa?
    (konjam siringa)....

     
  • At 10:26 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    //salam namasthe//

    ithu thaana tamil la அ.ஆ apdinnu vandhathu...

     
  • At 11:08 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Gops - Neraiya questions..naan choice la vituten :-)..
    BTW, I don't like Hollywood heroes ;-) sirichiten..ok?

    Syam - Not sure !!

     
  • At 3:11 AM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Gnana Kirukan said…

    Pavithra - I concur with u :)..

    I am not sure whether u like Iruvar? In my opinion, Iruvar is the greatest tamil film ever produced..classic film, awesome background score by ARR, great acting..maniratnam proved y he is a genious..absolute beauty..

     
  • At 3:15 AM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    I've not seen the film "Iruvar" yet :(. But I liked the songs. I liked "Mudhalvan" to some extent.

     
  • At 7:04 PM, August 03, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    veda - I love balachandar movies but ippo avar padangal illaiye..I never missed his serials too. "Nala Damayanthi" was good.
    Yeah..Kuch no kaho was boring but the story was different.
    Usha , its true that we can't take tamil films in Hollywood style..that would be unnatural but do u think that the current day tamil movies depict our lives? There are some very good movies..but lately atleast for the past 5-6 years .. the quality has degraded much !!

    Aatchi maariyaachu-la .. they might remove this setbox also :-)

     
  • At 11:53 PM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Butterflies said…

    Ei yaa at times the same logic follows da thats cos..........of the hroes image and producers don want to take risk!!!I like alaipayuthe a lot andmanirathnam movies!

     
  • At 1:00 AM, August 05, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    shuba - true..nalla padangal namma than edukanum pola irukku..it's no longer entertainment .. I feel like just sitting at home and having a chat when I get some free time rather than going out for a movie. Just gives me more head-ache !!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home