NewBie

Monday, August 07, 2006

Dreams & Premonitions !!

I've always wondered about dreams. Recently , I had a few good/meaningful dreams ;-) and wanted to know more. When do we dream? Why do we dream? I'm a sound sleeper..and least dreamer. My father, brother and sister used to give an account of their dreams everyday while my mom and I would have nothing to say. Little did I realize that there could be a scientific reason behind it. "REM (rapid eye movement) dreaming sleep usually occurs in ninety minute cycles throughout the night, before the onset of a period of SWS. As the night progresses, these intervals of REM increase in length until finally, the last two hours of slumber contain a high percentage of dreams. Therefore, we are more likely to catch ourselves dreaming towards the end of sleep - between the hours of five and eight in the morning for the average person." My father,sister and brother are early morning sleepers. My mom and I wake up well before 5 AM. So we don't have a chance to dream. So, first question answered. Next, what do dreams mean? I went to Dream Dictionary . Sadly, I've never had any dream resembling anything there. So I continued browsing and came here which says "Your dreams are all about *YOU* " "For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. In a dream, in a vision of night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; Then he openeth the ears of men and sealeth their instruction..." - Book of Job, 33:14-16 I've personally felt that my dreams answer my questions in some form. So this seems more apt to me. Some dreams are premonitions . As I said, I've had very few dreams and nearly all of them have come true to some extent. But, the best I could remember was an accident that I had. It was 2 years back, when I was getting ready to work..I had a dream which I couldn't remember except that someone told me to remain calm.. I took my scooty and right from that moment I knew I would face an accident. I was concentrating and driving as careful as possible but a part of my heart told me that something was wrong. As I was riding along a busy road, a guy in front of me skid and fell exactly in the middle of the road..though I had enough control, my scooty fell down becoz there's no place to turn, he was blocking the way..A big truck just stopped inches away from me..I wasn't hurt..got up and went to work. But I could never forget the incident. When my mom tells me something about omens I used to laugh at her. Unknowingly, I was concentrating at this guy in front of me and knew that he's going to fall down. Since, I was cautious, may be I was safe. The same might have happened with the truck driver, probably even he might have had an intuition and might have slowed down exactly. My mom used to say whatever has to happen will happen but if we are good, God will make our sufferings lesser. May be, that's true. This premonition works pretty well with others too. I usually drive fast and once I was rushing to the train station, when a guy came in the opposite direction zig-zagging in his bike. I instantly said to myself this guy is going to break his bones and I turned a bit hearing a noise and he had fallen down. I couldn't beleive it. I stopped for a few seconds and just went on (he had not broken his bones..just small scratches). It was not a curse, I have never seen him before and he didn't do anything to me...but something made me think he'll fall. I've started listening to myself more..probably our inner-self knows something more than us. My friends used to tell me to take a course on Psycology. It's 4 years now after this incident and I've started to improve on the aspect of mind-reading. One aspect I'm successful is that I'm able to sense a lie from someone and so flattery never works well on me. I've always wondered how yogis do this fore-seeing part. Should not be tough with some practice and probably a few books on Psycology ;-).

26 Comments:

  • At 9:26 AM, August 07, 2006, Blogger ambi said…

    wow! wat a co-incidence. i too got many questions answered thru my dreams.
    and i'm also good in mind reading.(thatz y i've mentioned as people watching! in mu blog-profile)
    same pinch pavithra.

    today, me thaan pashtu and enakku thaan one plate puliyotharai. syam U missed it.. :) LOL

     
  • At 2:08 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Has to be me said…

    Hey thats a v.interesting post! I dream a lot too & like u said its mostly in the early morning hrs.

    And nice 2 note that u relate so well to ur dreams.

    Fr me, when something happens in real life I feel it has happened already in my dreams. Maybe like u I shd start paying more attn?! ;)

     
  • At 2:41 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Vishnu said…

    intresting post....

    i exp. deja-vu ... i don whether dream has a part for it....

    Cheers!
    :)

     
  • At 7:30 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Balaji S Rajan said…

    Interesting topic. We want certain dreams to happen real. We want some real incidents to become dream.... Funny Human thoughts...

     
  • At 8:46 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger KK said…

    Well, though I am a early morning sleeper, I hardly get any dreams. Its mostly like how they show in movies, the shot finishes with me going to bed and next shot will be me waking up :) completly blank in between :(
    Regarding intuition, recently I had an intuition telling me that I was going to get a speeding ticket, so I was driving very carefully at the specified speed limit, correctly at one point there was a church and the speed limit reduced from 45 to 30 which I did not notice and when I was passing the church, a cop came on the otherside of the road and caught me. I got a speeding ticket for going 45Mph on 30 Mph :(

     
  • At 8:58 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Ambi - Thanks. Puliyotharai comes in packets not in plate LOL :-)

    Has to be me - All the best for your trial ;-).

    protector - I've heard so many people feel this..not sure why!!

    balaji - well said and true !!

    kk - That's sad. Seems, it was not your day !!

     
  • At 9:33 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    //I've personally felt that my dreams answer my questions in some form//

    somewhat true...I could able to speak Spanish (in dreams) to the cute girl I saw on my way back home... :-)

     
  • At 9:54 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Syam - So what question did it answer? ;-)

     
  • At 9:56 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Jeevan said…

    I love Dreams, Kanavugal Periaya Kanavugal kaana Kannukku sollikudu nanaba, Sir Abdhul Kalam ponmozinthathu pola Kanavugal kanboem Nanba. some times i too feel when i see some incidents, it will be our experianced one some times back.

     
  • At 11:39 PM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    whether I can talk in Spanish or not :-)

     
  • At 1:54 AM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Gnana Kirukan said…

    Wow - here too ur not alone :)..My entire life has been guided by my Lord Sathya Sai Baba through my dreams..

    Even if someone is going to die, I get that in my dreams..But majority of the time, I get some stupid dream :)..

    Good post Pavithra :)

     
  • At 4:17 AM, August 08, 2006, Blogger b v n said…

    what dreams may come :)

    interesting stuff out here !

     
  • At 10:25 AM, August 08, 2006, Blogger starry said…

    Wow..Your dreams were like premonitions.I dont dream a whole lot maybe because I am an early riser also.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Story Teller said…

    nalla post...

     
  • At 5:42 PM, August 08, 2006, Blogger My days(Gops) said…

    dreams...
    neenga endha dream'a pathi sollureenga?
    eye'a thorandhu vachikittu naamaley dream pannuradha?
    illa, while sleeping thaaana varuvadha?

    naan ellam bayangarama dream pannuven..

    he he he onnumey nadakala idhuvaraikum.....lets(me) hav a hope...........

     
  • At 8:29 PM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Jeevan - That was cute !!

    Syam - Doubt clear aacha ?? ;-)

    Arjuna - Good..as I said develop this ability ;-)

     
  • At 11:05 PM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    bvn - Welcome !! Glad you liked it :-)

    starry nights - true..me too !!

    Delhi_tamilan - Welcome !! Thanks :-)

    Gops - Day dreams (kanna thiranthukitu panrathu) show u the present not the future. Nadakkum..try pannunga ;-).

     
  • At 11:15 PM, August 08, 2006, Blogger My days(Gops) said…

    nalladhunga....try pannuren...
    btw, ooruku kilambureenga pola?
    ensoi.......

     
  • At 5:16 AM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Gops - Yes..leaving this Sat. Thanks ;-)

     
  • At 5:41 AM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Gup post pavithra....enaku kooda sometimes TV-la vara serials madhiri oru kanuvukum innoru kanavukum sila link irukradhu....

    Kanavu kaanum vaazhkai yaavum kalindhu pogum megangal ;-)

     
  • At 5:38 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    bala - kavithai ellam balamaa irukku ;-)

     
  • At 6:56 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Anu said…

    Ahh dreams..I love them for one because I construct my own dreams in the day though I don't remember what happens in the night..If I have to share something unusual, when I was young, I used to get the same dream almost every night..This fact still surprises me!

     
  • At 10:56 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    ooruku poreengala.. hmmm kuduthu vechavanga :-)

     
  • At 11:45 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Anu - Welcome !! Some things seen unusual or strange in dreams .. something like impossible. I've even laughed at certain dreams but when they happen..I feel surprised.

    Syam - Really happy to go back.. But neenga feel panrathuku enna irukku nu theriyala..jolly ya family-yoda thane irukeenga..enna mathiriyaa? ;-)

     
  • At 1:23 AM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Butterflies said…

    hei this is got something to do witth sixth sense...ya i too have felt the samEEEbut just get confused...these days i think too much on it!!!!

     
  • At 8:31 AM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Sixth sense .. Hmm..interesting. Sometimes our conscience tells us what is right but, truth is always bitter and we don't follow it. But oneday when we realize/accept the truth we start hearing to our conscience.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home