NewBie

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Stars !!

When I was a child, I looked upon the sky and wondered How many stars are there and Why are they all feminine? I grew up as a pretty girl An apple of everyone's eye, Fell in love with a guy and Prayed to God he should be mine. Remembered my dad telling to me "Our family honour lies with you". I erased him from my mind and Married another and started loving him. I did my duty as a daughter Noone understood me. Everything was new, I missed my parents, Still I strived hard to earn everyone's heart. I failed again and again...but Thought I'd win one day. Once my husband told me "I was happy before marriage. I should have never married". It broke my heart into pieces. I prayed to God to take away my life What's the use in life when he hates me? I sat back and thought Why is he unhappy? What did I do wrong? Isn't it me who should be unhappy? I lost my lover just for him Life has changed more than 100% for me I've to shoulder responsibilities Make no mistakes and satisfy 2 families What did he lose to feel unhappy? He lives in the same house and gets his bed-coffee He lives with his parents and chats happily with them Still I wondered how can I make him happy? I go out to shopping taking hours to shop May be he's upset with that..Why do I do that? I want to get the best in the cheapest price He doesn't understand..so I stopped shopping. Thinking he would love me more..He did not. I stopped complaining to him Keeping my burdens within myself Thinking he would love me more..He did not. Life went by..and everyday I loved him more. He never appreciated me or loved me back. But never failed to shout at me when he was upset. I still told to myself.."He surely loves me". Just a blind faith. But I did my duty as a wife Noone understood me. We had a son...cute and naughty. He made me forget all my worries. Once he held my sari and told me "Amma, please don't go..stay with me". For these sweet words, I left my job. My only purpose in life was him. Days went and we had a daughter. Life was cool but still everyday I asked to myself Does he still love me? Is he really unhappy? As time flew, my son grew up I prayed that he should get into the best college He got selected but left me and joined a hostel "I'll be back in 4 years, mom" He promised me... I missed him a lot and waited eagerly He came back with a job..and I thanked all Gods He told me he has to go far away from me I missed him a lot and waited eagerly Years flew, and it was time to get my little daughter married And she was in love with a guy I tried to explain that she can never adapt to a different custom I thought my experience should help her She did not heed..she was adamant..love is blind. We got her married to her lover. She hated me because I advised her. She thanked her Dad and told him " I love you , Dad".. I did my duty as a mother Noone understood me. I searched for the most beautiful girl for my son I searched for all the qualities in her to make a perfect wife I was successful and they were made for each other But, I forgot to search for a daughter-in-law I tried to pass on my experiences to my daughter-in-law Which seemed to her like just interference So, I was again unwelcome. Even my husband blamed me saying "generation-gap" I tried to adjust I did my duty as a mother-in-law Noone understood me. I took care of my grand-children and told them stories My son left to US with "his" family.. I did my duty till now Noone understood me. ... We were both alone again. I had become weak with all these challenges One fine day God decided to end my sufferings I went to heaven and stood before him God asked me "Are you happy now..all your life you prayed to me to end your life. Finally I've answered your prayers" I told him that I'm not happy HE asked me "Why?" I told him I can't leave my husband alone. I want to take care of him always. HE thought for a while and gave me a boon HE made me a star twinkling brightly in the sky From where I could always see my husband,children and their family. I stayed there watching over them Guiding them when they needed me One day, my husband cried "I loved you so much. I was so happy to have a wife like you. I miss you" Those were the only words that I wanted to hear from him. But I realized people don't realize the value of someone when we're with them Tears dropped from my eyes and it fell as a raindrop on my husband's lap. He looked up, as if, he heard me calling him I hid behind a cloud becoz I did not want to cry before him I wanted him to think that I was happy always and he was the best husband I waited endlessly One day he was about to die I started to vanish and fall on the earth to be beside him And follow him to his next birth - Be it a cat or a caterpillar !! Now I know why stars are feminine Every selfless woman becomes a star Noone understands or appreciates her. But God does !!

35 Comments:

  • At 10:20 AM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Vishnu said…

    tats a nice read....i read it before the same thing with different flavor....

    Cheers!
    :)

     
  • At 12:34 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Jeevan said…

    That's wonderful post pavi. a history of a women. hope every women's life should be on their wish.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    once again a post with senti touch....I wish everyone to understand and appreciate u :)

     
  • At 12:53 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Jeevan said…

    Pavi you have been tagged:)

     
  • At 2:53 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Has to be me said…

    Hey that's just so damn beautiful & kinda true too. I only pray & hope that all women get their due share of appreciation & recognition from the near & dear ones.

     
  • At 3:01 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger பரத் said…

    Touching post!
    good one

     
  • At 4:30 PM, August 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A typical "Men are from Mars, women are from Venus" post.

    "He never appreciated me or loved me back." is what the women thinks..:)

    "One day, my husband cried
    "I loved you so much. I was so happy to have a wife like you. I miss you""
    is what the man actually did..:)

    Yeah.. Women are like stars.. Men are like the sun...People don't appreciate the brightness it gives but rather blame that it's too hot..:)

    The way the post is written is great..:)

     
  • At 7:48 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    the protector - Thanks !!

    Jeevan - Thanks !!

    Bala - Thanks. But its just fiction. But hope your wish works for me as well ;-)

     
  • At 7:50 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    has to be me - Its not 100% true. It's just how a typical women feels. For all that they do, they just need a tonic to keep them going. Just simple words of appreciation.

    Barath - Thanks :-)

     
  • At 8:01 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Karthik - yup !!
    It took her so long to understand him and that's why she wants to be with him in his next birth. But again I think she'll make the same mistake ;-).

    Thanks for stopping by :-)

     
  • At 8:35 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    post padisthu enna solarathunu inga vandha neengaley fiction nu solliteenga...irundhaalum nice one :-)

     
  • At 8:57 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger KK said…

    Nice post!!
    Its becoming the default first line for all my comments for all your posts :)
    so...
    An appreciation for an appreciation due post about the appreciation that's due for all women.

    Hope the statement came right ;)

     
  • At 9:32 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Syam - Thanks. Neenga solla vanthatha sollunga..Ok fiction illaina ..what's ur comment? I replied to bala to say its not me ..

    kk - Superb statement !! Thanks ;-)

     
  • At 1:54 AM, August 11, 2006, Blogger starry said…

    Pavithra.. such a true story. I felt the first part was like mine.All I want him to say is that he is happy he married me.I try and do everything right but sometimes right is not enough.One day I will be a shining star looking down and praying for my family.Thank you for sharing this.

     
  • At 2:31 AM, August 11, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    fiction irundhaalum illatium...this is half way true for both women and men..

     
  • At 6:50 AM, August 11, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    starry nights - U got it right. A small word of appreciation and a little understanding does a lot of magic."he is happy he married me.." U r no different..when a women does everything posible to satisfy her man..this is a very small expectation. But, "I loved you so much. I was so happy to have a wife like you. I miss you" is what your husband might really feel. So, though u don't hear it try to beleive it now rather than as a star from above ;-)

     
  • At 7:08 AM, August 11, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Syam - Even if this was fiction, my whole idea revolved around a typical woman who lives just for her family and expects nothing but their love but, everyone take her for granted. We all do our job, but we do it for some reason be it money,power,fame etc. Would we feel like continuing our job if we don't get what we expect? We switch jobs, does she have an option? We say sorry,thanks,good,excellent,etc to our friends..do we bother to say that to our mom/wife. My ideal woman has unconditional love towards her family but at heart she too feels unhappy and unsatisfied.
    I don't understand how it can be true for men....my father never complained.. my hubby too.. so literally no idea ... neenga than sollanum..give me tips which I could use ;-)

     
  • At 6:01 PM, August 11, 2006, Blogger gP said…

    that was the most beautiful post I ever read, the realism...and the feelings that went into writing it. I could feel it and I really appreciate the feelings. There are still men who understands, but the world just ignores women nowadays. Hope you have done the best to change it and hope that makes you hppy.

     
  • At 9:53 PM, August 11, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Parvati - Welcome !! Thanks ;-)

    Ghost particle - Thanks :-).

     
  • At 12:29 AM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    traveling soldier - Welcome !! I agree to your view. I have no issues with an inter-caste/religion marriage. But its a general perspective + fiction.
    I tried to convey one point. There is a difference in an emotional blackmail (blindly refusing to accept love for family honour/society/ego) and reasoning discussion (bad character/adaptability/family background.

     
  • At 1:33 AM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    I agree what you have said...

    //my father never complained.. my hubby too..//
    here is where men stand...as long as they don't complain that itself is a big compliment....

    etho enaku therinjatha sonnen...marubadiyum kelvi ketkaatheenga :-)

     
  • At 4:44 AM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Sarah said…

    Why would a woman after toiling so much want to be a star and still watch over her family?? or she is a star, whose is finally happy tht her toil/struggle is over and she is shining brightly in happiness?

    I would like to be a star, not to watch over my family..but to be me..just me..without the added burdens, without the worries, without responsiblity.. I would want to be a star in the sky that lovers look up and see in the sky and dream..a star that offers hope for others..
    Sarah

     
  • At 12:03 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Balaji S Rajan said…

    A good post which reflects the thoughts of a normal woman. Though this is not general. I could see the woman in your narration is very sacrificing. She need not be so kind. Days are changing. Women need to change. Why should she sacrifice for her husband? So the whole life goes sacrificing. She is unable to live for herself. Women should change. Your writing is good. I appreciate everything. But at the same time, I feel that attitudes of our women should change. It is enough of sacrificing and spending the full life for others. Because of these women's qualities, some men are cunning and know the weaknesses of women and pretend to be good by appreciating. But they keep doing outside whatever they want. Time has come for our women to change.

    Your narration depicts clearly our women of yester years and sad to know that few women are like that even today. Please think a bit more. Let women change...

     
  • At 6:09 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    travelling soldier - A blog is for arguing right? Its to accept different point of views.
    u caught me at the wrong foot..I thought twice before writing that line in my story..I should have been clearer. We all succumb to emotional blackmail..and this part is dedicated to my close friend who is suffering becoz of that. Times have not changed !!

     
  • At 6:12 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    Syam - I accept that men might have their own problems but I couldn't understand ur statement becoz I've never heard any man crib to me.
    Ok..this time ..no questions your honour ;-)

     
  • At 6:28 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    IIC - Welcome ! That's a good thought. I beleive women have something in them which makes them so mad at their family. I think u r right...no worries ..no responsibilities..even I'd love a life like that ;-)

    Balaji - "Because of these women's qualities, some men are cunning and know the weaknesses of women and pretend to be good by appreciating" .. that was a good point. Thanks ;-)

    Yes, women need to change. But I'm imagining a world where women have their self-respect and live their life for themselves. They become exactly equal to men with no forgiveness. Want to acheive more in their career than cooking and tending to their children. Will the world be a better place to live? Again, you said "some women"..my woman is too sacrificing but many women even today stand 50-80% of what I've said. Frankly, even I thought, education and financial independence would change women..but I don't think it works.
    I think women need to change but within certain limits.

     
  • At 12:42 PM, August 14, 2006, Blogger Rose said…

    :)))

    Let me just leave it at that.. Let me just leave this space with a smile..

    ..Me

     
  • At 4:08 PM, August 14, 2006, Blogger ambi said…

    good one pavithra, it's 50-50 now for men & women. now a days all gals are good and vice versa.

    but after reading this poem(?), my heart moved up and remembered my mom, thank god! naan love ellam pannalai. cha! ennaye senti aakiteengale! :D

     
  • At 1:31 AM, August 15, 2006, Blogger s0ulasylum said…

    Hey pavithra!
    this is my first time here, this is a fantastic post.. i absolutely loved it! :)
    cheers!

     
  • At 9:08 PM, August 15, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    TS - That was a good point. I accept that what u said is right..if we treat our parents as our best friends and discuss everything with them..I think things would be much better. But, in my friends case its not a problem with her parents but with the guys'. She made only one mistake loved him, beleived him, prayed for him and still wants his parents to be happy and is parting with tears. I think she'll be a star one day :-(.

     
  • At 9:13 PM, August 15, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    rose - Welcome !!

    ambi - Statement thappa solliteenga..."Oh God ..enna yaarum love pannala" appadinu thane solla vantheenga LOL :-)

    Poem than ezhutha try pannen..seems u have a doubt ..anyway thanks ;-)

    Soulasylum - Welcome !! Glad that u liked the post. Thanks ;-)

     
  • At 10:10 PM, August 15, 2006, Blogger seriously_frivolous said…

    Pavithra,
    nicely written. Thats the way it is for woman...isnt it. Attachements and detachments are just an integral part of their life. Have always had the feeling the women detach way easier than men and thats what causes most heart breaks for men..

     
  • At 9:37 AM, August 16, 2006, Blogger ambi said…

    //"Oh God ..enna yaarum love pannala" appadinu thane solla vantheenga LOL :-)//

    yow! pavithra enna nakkala? quela ninnanga, naan thaan chamatha no thanks!nu solliten.(with a proud looku) LOL :)

     
  • At 8:27 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger KK said…

    //becoz I've never heard any man crib to me.//
    Well the fact is men don't crib :)

     
  • At 1:20 PM, August 21, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    SF - Thanks .

    ambi - Ha Ha .. Ok.

    kk - True ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home