NewBie

Monday, August 28, 2006

Life - a beautiful drama !!

There is a library with a lot of books and God is busy searching something.. "Here it is !!" ..he exclaims and starts writing the fate of a soul which is inside a mother's womb. He writes using invisible ink. He takes his time and stops at certain places, smiles by himself and suddenly gets serious and finally sheds a tear and at last closes that book with a sense of satisfaction..and starts another play searching for characters. Down at earth, a girl child is born. She is named "Shreya" .. people think it is numerology but with the various permutations of names available why this one? Its decided by HIM. Shreya grows and she doesn't have beautiful eyes nor fair complexion. She doesn't look pretty as Preethi, her classmate and sheds her first tear. God sends her mother to hug her and tell her "You are the most beautiful child ever created on this earth". Shreya experiences her first love..she starts loving herself, accepts her features and takes the first step towards her goal. God needs variety in his drama .. he balances physical and inner beauty. Shreya is intelligent and smart. Everyone tell her she is a blessed child. She thinks she is lucky and will win always. Little does she know that God has something else in store for her. She falls sick on her final exam day and that changes her career. She wanted to be a doctor but gets an engineering seat. She cries to God asking why did he desert her? God also sheds a tear but HE had taught Shreya a lesson. HE sent her father to console her and tell her "Everything happens for a reason. As long as you have a pure heart, God will never forsake you. Pray to God to give you what you deserve, not what you desire becoz you never know what you really need". She has learnt to accept failures. Shreya goes to the counselling hall half-heartedly ..among the 250 colleges she chooses one. Why this one? God only knows ;-). Of all the 5000 students, there is one guy, Kumar, who travels to college from Shreya's place. He is too smart and good-looking. Why does he like Shreya? A part of the drama. Shreya had never known a man in her life except her father. So far she had just received love and care from her parents. For the first time in her life, she loved and cared for another person. A person who has no relation to her, whom she has met just a few weeks ago. Kumar was a shy guy who has not spoken to any girl before. The feelings these two experienced are unexplainable. They understood each other so well. They loved and cared for each other more than themselves. College days were the most memorable days in Shreya’s life. She could think of noone else except Kumar..even Kumar had an infatuation towards Shreya. Shreya's intelligence made Kumar to compete. Kumar's love has killed Shreya's ego. They were transforming into better persons each day. They made a beautiful pair. God was ready with his suspense. Things seemed so fine till the final day of college..both of them were placed in very good companies but Shreya was posted to Blore and Kumar to Kolkatta. Shreya could not digest the thought of parting from Kumar even for a day. Shreya told Kumar that she wanted to be with him life long. Kumar told her “Shreya!! I like you so much. I adore you. Any guy is lucky to have a wife like you. But, you are born with a silver spoon and your parents would get you married within a year. My family depends on me. I’m not in a position to think about marriage. My mother has sacrificed so much to bring me up and she’ll never accept an inter-caste marriage. I’ll always miss you, we’re just friends. But hope atleast in our next birth we’re made for each other.” They both went their ways but day-by-day their love was increasing. They were not just friends. Meanwhile, Shreya’s parents had arranged for her marriage. What a complicated process it is…Out of millions of guys they narrowed down to 6 and horoscope filtered 3. They finally chose 1. A miracle in itself. The guy, Shankar, was supposed to meet her the next day. Shreya was upset. All her protests to postpone her marriage talks were in vain. Shreya: “Amma, please don’t send me away. I want to be with you always. I hate marriage. Marriage is pain. I’m like a butterfly now..happy and independent. I’ll lose these after marriage. Why should I marry?” Mom: “Shreya!! It is high time we get you married. We can’t take care of you always. Aren’t we happy? You are a blessed child and you’ll get a very good life partner.” Shreya: “Amma, yours was a love marriage. How can a guy who knows nothing about me, take care of me? Love can’t be forced, it has to come naturally. Mom: “We never opposed a love marriage. If you had chosen your life partner by yourself, we would have not objected. We gave you enough time and only after you told us that you don’t love anyone we started these arrangements. Even now its not late. Tell me, if you love Kumar, we’ll speak with his parents.” Shreya could not hide her tears. How could her mother know that she loved Kumar? Who else would have understood her better? She hugged her mom and cried Shreya: “Amma, you are so sweet but Kumar is a good friend, we can’t be life partners. I’m just afraid of marriage with a stranger” Mom: “It would all be fine. Shankar’s parents spoke nicely. It seems to be a nice family. You talk with Shankar and only if you like him we’ll proceed. Even before marriage you have a lot of time to understand each other. My mom didn’t see her husband properly till I was born. They started getting intimate only after 20 years of marriage. Things are so different now. Don’t think about anything and go to sleep. Let Shankar be carried away seeing how lovely you are ” Shreya couldn’t sleep. She called Kumar. Kumar started crying but wished her all the best. She pleaded him to ask his parents but he wasn’t ready. Shreya cried to God “Oh God!! Why are you so cruel? Why can’t I have Kumar? I love him so much. I can’t forget him.” She found no meaning in her life. She wanted to die. She took sleeping pills and wrote her note to her parents. “Amma/Appa I love you so much. You have been excellent parents. Its disheartening that your daughter should be a coward like me. I can’t love anyone else other than Kumar. I don’t want to spoil the life of another person. Let there be no customs of caste/creed in this society which breaks the heart of hundreds of people. Love is a beautiful feeling and I want to die with those memories alone. Let me be your child in all further births I have. I don’t regret dying now becoz anyway you’ve decided to send me to another house. Amma, I’ll always be in this house and sleep on your lap. You can talk to me I’ll hear you and with the level of understanding you have I think even you’ll hear/see me. Kumar, don’t cry now. I could not tolerate you crying the first time today. Let it be the last. I don’t blame you for my end. The society has to change but that won’t happen unless each individual changes. You weren’t bold enough to take the first step. I’m disappointed, but I love you. With Love, Shreya” Shreya was about to fall down. God held her in his arms. She opened her eyes. God: I had many plans for you but you spoiled it. Why did you choose to end your life? Shreya: I’m disappointed. You never answered my prayers. I don’t blame you. There are people who worship you 10 times a day. So its fair that you help them than me. I just take you for granted. My mom told me when I was a child, “God is always watching over us. He’ll take care of you”. So I thought you are my friend but I was wrong. If I had undertaken the vrathams, you would have helped me. God: Ha Ha..Why do you think I’m not your friend now? I don’t forsake people. I help people alike even if they are atheists.(He showed some things to Shreya). Do you remember these? Shreya: This is my diary where I wrote my complaints to you when I was 10 years old. Flowers that I offered you, chocolates for my birthday..So you preserved all these? (Shreya was moved) Then why did you take Kumar away from me? God: Child, I gave you a lot of courage and confidence but you weren’t strong to take these challenges. Every threat/disappointment gives an opportunity to improve yourself. Everytime you stumble, I lend you a hand. Don’t I? Shreya: Yes. That’s true. Whatever happened so far in my life had been good though I didn’t realize it. But Kumar? Why did you make us meet and love each other if he was not destined for me? God: Do you believe in me? Shreya: Yes. God: You desire Kumar but you do not deserve him. You both have made a positive difference in each other's life. I know its tough for you but everything happens for a reason. Life would be dull without challenges. When I give you challenges, I know that you can handle it. I don’t give problems that you can’t solve. Sometimes, when you struggle I send you help. Shreya: Oh God!! How foolish of me. I should not have killed myself. I want to live. Why didn’t you send me help? God: You are indeed a blessed child. Why else do you think I'm here? Shreya heard voices around her. She got up from her bed. All the incidents were flashing in her mind Kumar, pills, God, note.. Shankar. She realized it was a dream. She was alive. She had neither taken any sleeping pills nor did she write a note. She was crying and had slept. She woke up as a better person. Her mom gave her a coffee. Her brother, Arun, made fun “Amma, you love her more than me..see she’s getting her bed coffee”. Mom said, “For how many days Arun, all these are only till she’s here.” She hugged Shreya and shed a tear “Get ready soon.” Shreya liked Shankar. It wasn’t tough as she thought. Shankar loved her more than Kumar. It was tough to forget but easier to replace. All the while, she trusted God and understood that Shankar was given to her by God. Within a month, she had started loving Shankar. They had a happy life. She thanked God. She had learnt an important lesson in life. There is a saying in Tamil, meaning "He who plants the tree knows to water it". We are planted here by God and we have been given our roles in this drama called "Life". Its in our hands to perform well. The better we act, more satisfied we are. He is almighty and he knows to take care of us. Life is indeed a drama and making it beautiful or sad, is just in our hands. We have nothing to lose because we brought nothing with us. We need to start listening to God's voice which we have forgotton in this busy world !!

19 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home