NewBie

Monday, October 09, 2006

Politeness

Polite soothing words can make a lot of difference in our day-to-day life. I was watching the film "Muthu" and there was a scene where Meena would shout at vadivelu arrogantly refusing his proposal for marriage. Superstar would say a dialogue meaning, "Say the same answer with a smile..". This politeness is the key to many problems in our day-to-day life. Scene #1: Husband : Wait for sometime. I'll drop you. Wife (One response) : Thanks ..but it's getting late for me. You need not hurry. I'll manage by myself. See you in the evening. Bye. Wife (2nd Response) : I can't wait till you get ready. I'm leaving. Wife (3rd response) : If you really wanted to drop me you should have got ready in time. I'm leaving. ( Blaming him) Wife (4th response) : No need. I have legs and I'm not at your mercy. Don't act as if you're concerned abt me. Blah Blah... How does a husband feel at these responses? The wife is not feeling well and probably they had a fight too. The husband really cares for his wife and wants to make up. Though all these responses mean the same, the first response is the politest one which makes both of them happy. The other 3 vary from mild to most harshness. Scene #2: The lady is waiting for the house-maid and its getting late for her. House-maid: Sorry M'am. I'm not feeling well. Lady: What happened? Ok..go to the doctor. Take care of your health. Take this Rs 50/-. I'll do the work today. If you feel well then come to work tommorrow else take rest. Lady: Ok .. finish the work soon..it's getting late for me. No need to mop the floor today you can do it tomorrow. Lady: How come you get an excuse everytime? Monthly twice you take leave saying this reason. For the work you do the salary you get itself is too much..from next time I'll cut down on your salary then only you'll stop giving silly reasons. What a difference politeness can make !! Scene #3 Man : Sir, I need 2 days leave. I need to go to my native place for Diwali. Manager : Ok..I understand u've been working too hard and you really need a break. But the deadline is near and if you can complete it sooner you can take a week off. But right now it might be difficult for the project if you go on leave. All your efforts for these 6 months would be wasted. If you insist on going now then, you can take a day off. Manager : Ok.. if you complete your work then I think you can take 1 day leave. Else you need to push your leave plans. With the project at a critical stage, I don't think you can take 2 days off. Manager : Leave ? Come on..how can you act so irresponsibly? The project is slipping the schedule and I'm already getting calls from all quarters. How can I run this project with people like you. How can you think of celebrating Diwali at this critical time? There are 25 people in this team .. let all of us enjoy ourselves and close this project. I never expected this from you. What would the man have done? The first reply makes him realize that he is an important member and this makes him feel good. The second doesn't hurt him. While the third, demoralizes him. Even if he decides to stay back he can't work with the same interest that he had before. Everyday we come across several situations like this where we spoil our moods and others' by shouting unnecessarily and spreading tension around us. Tension takes away the smile from our face and in turn takes peace from us as well as in the environment. Anger is a deadly disease. Its well said, "He who angers you conquers you". The words spoken in anger can never be taken back. Everyone likes to hear polite words. Politeness is a great virtue to be possessed !!

Labels:

27 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yeah, thats true....
    my onsite manager is of type 1. Once I went to him to move me to another project (bcoz the currect proj is boring :)). He spoke with me for just 2 mins and said "dei nee romba nalla work pannara da...client is very happy da....innum konjam naal poruthukoda....blah...blah..."....finally he made me happy and I could not speak anything against to him...:(

     
  • At 11:32 AM, October 10, 2006, Blogger KK said…

    Nice post :) It surely creates wonders when things are told very politely. I guess except for Americans most of us are not very polite. Thats my observation so far.
    Om Shanti! om Shanti! :)

     
  • At 11:40 AM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    bala - True !! Managers ku pesa therinjaa pothum .. avanga kita irunthu namma neraiya kathukanum..eppadiyum avangalukku thevaiyanatha saathichiduvaanga ;-)

    kk - Thanks ;-). Yes, even my experience with Americans taught me a lot. Very small appreciative words but that gives us the energy to work enthusiastically !! I wonder sometimes aren't we (Indians) with all our spirituality supposed to be the most polite people in the world ?

     
  • At 11:45 AM, October 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Unmai than nenga solurathu.Politeness changes everything...

     
  • At 4:11 PM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Jeevan said…

    Wonderful post pavi! i realize politness in important for every thing, We should think twis before using our words, its not a coin if we drop take it. Give respect take respect:)

     
  • At 5:18 PM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    anon - Thanks ;-)

    jeevan - Thanks ;-). True !!

     
  • At 8:59 PM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Syam said…

    I agree that "Politeness is a great virtue to be possessed"...but in my personal experience I was abused lot of times coz of this politeness and everybody thinks that am an EV.. :-)

     
  • At 11:04 PM, October 10, 2006, Blogger KK said…

    //I wonder sometimes aren't we (Indians) with all our spirituality supposed to be the most polite people in the world ?//
    Well we may be polite when it has some spiritual connection like we may be polite to sages and saints but not to common people. Saami kanna kuthidumnu sollurathu naala we tend to be good else I dont think we will :)

     
  • At 12:27 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Bharani said…

    // Everyone likes to hear polite words//.....but most of the time we only expect other to say polite words to us...but we are not doing that...thatz real reason for all these chaos....

    good one :)

     
  • At 3:02 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger EarthlyTraveler said…

    Well done!ungalukkunu topic kidaikudhae.Ammadi!Dhool!we expect a lot from others,but namma panroma nu yosikiradhe illa.indha oorla kids ku KG_la 5 golden words dhan mudhal padam."excuse me","please",Thank you","may I or Can I",and "Sorry".--SKM

     
  • At 10:46 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    syam - That's sad ;-)

    kk - Hmm..may be !!

    barani - Thanks ;-). True !!

    SKM - Thanks ;-). True, certain things must come from childhood !!

     
  • At 4:22 PM, October 11, 2006, Blogger ambi said…

    //Anger is a deadly disease. Its well said, "He who angers you conquers you". //

    very True. nice case studies.
    me konjam late polirukku! temp maathiyachu! beta version maariyachu polirukku! enna sister, diwali puthusu! kanna puthusaa? :D

     
  • At 4:45 PM, October 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi hi hi,

    Am a first timer here...This post is really thought provoking.Gr8 analysis of the varied situations!!

    But you see, certain things in life like this are easier said than done!!

    Neway,that was a gud post!

     
  • At 5:14 PM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    ambi - Thanks :-). Template still under construction...6 months aachu-la so trying something new..ungalukellaam bore adikumenu than ;-)

    vicky - welcome !! Its true that we cannot follow certain things always but I think with practice nothing is impossible. ;-) Medicines are bitter but we take them due to their benefits !!

     
  • At 7:05 PM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Dreamzz said…

    wow..really usefull...
    ithu madhiri chinna chinna vishayangal are the stress relievers..:)

     
  • At 9:04 AM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    dreamzz - Thanks ;-). In theory these seem so small but to practice it needs a lot of effort !!

     
  • At 2:50 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Has to be me said…

    Seems like I missed quite a fwe posts whislt I was away. Anycse read all of them....interesting as usual!
    Sure politeness is the key to many things in life. Politeness added with a smile can do a lotta tricks i think!
    BTW, I;ve tagged u! :)

     
  • At 5:00 AM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Balaji S Rajan said…

    Pavithra,

    That is a good one. I was about to write a post on Anger. I was thinking about Anger today. We use lots of hurting language in anger. I have found it with some who are closer to me. Why do we lose our mind in anger? When we are angry, there is lesser blood flow to brain. That is why we stumble for the right word and without thinking we use those aggressive words. Probably if we divert our attention and hang on for few minutes, then the anger may disappear and we can change the language. Hmmmmmmm... Anyhow your post was thoughtful.

     
  • At 9:07 AM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Krishnakumar said…

    "Politeness is a great virtue to be possessed"
    I totally agree with this. Politeness definitely plays an important role in people management. But it's really difficult to practice.

     
  • At 12:55 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger ambi said…

    //ungalukellaam bore adikumenu than//
    cha! bore adikara maathiriya neenga ezhuthareenga? :)
    nestu postu pls :D

     
  • At 1:20 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger மு.கார்த்திகேயன் said…

    pavi,

    first scene ore wife 4 response kodukkaama, 4 wife iruntha eppadi irukkum..

    first time here..dropped by seeing your name in shyam, ambi's blog..

     
  • At 9:23 AM, October 14, 2006, Blogger Jeseem said…

    sorry to say this, but it is hard for indians to be polite.
    atleast be polite for namesake.
    y'day went to indian store, and got a taste of the so great indian attitude. never changes

     
  • At 9:49 AM, October 16, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    HTBM - Thanks ;-). I've already done one tag will try to do the other !!

    balaji - True !!. Thanks ;-)

    krishnakumar - Thanks ;-).

    ambi - Pullarikuthu ;-). Sure !! Ethuvum matter kidaikalaiye post poda ;-)

     
  • At 9:54 AM, October 16, 2006, Blogger Pavithra said…

    karthikeyan - Welcome !! ROTFL ;-). Unga questionku naan answer panna nalla irukaathu..seems u r a bachelor still .. Hmm...intha vibareetha aasai ellam vendaam !!

    jeseem - Its not a hard and fast rule. I have seen so many polite indians. It depends on a lot of factors when we really understand the benefit of politeness, I think we would always try to be polite !! Still, I agree that many Indians aren't polite !! May be they think being rude can show their strength/power.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, October 16, 2006, Blogger ambi said…

    innikum ezhudhaliyaa? cha! kuzhanthai(me only!) emaanthu poguthu daily! :(

     
  • At 11:16 AM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Swamy Srinivasan aka Kittu Mama said…

    Its a great post and ive to practise it myself being polite. my problem is i would get angry instantly and get normal instantly too.. mind is always a killer

     
  • At 7:21 AM, June 06, 2013, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Quality content is the main to attract the visitors to pay a visit the site,
    that's what this site is providing.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage; email templates free

     

Post a Comment

<< Home